Middlesex’s Cross Rip Campground uses some old pilothouses as cottages

Two pilothouses off the menhaden fish steamers “Nor’easter” and “Downeaster,” were made into rental cottages. Photos by Larry Chowning

by Larry Chowning – 

The Cross Rip in the name Cross Rip Campground in Deltaville came from the name of a lightship that anchored just off the coast of Nantucket, Mass., in the Atlantic Ocean.

The late Anna Scott (Scotty) Hoye bought the 20-acre site overlooking the Chesapeake Bay in 1950 and over several decades transformed the property, located near Stingray Point, into her home and a campground.

Catherine Bellows, left, and Rebecca Wondergem purchased Cross Rip Campground in Deltaville in 2016 and have carried on the nautical tradition of the facility that was started by founder, the late Scotty Hoye. The pilothouse in the background came from the steamboat “Virginia Dare” and is one of several pilothouses preserved at the campground and used as a cottage. 

Then a Mary Washington College professor, Hoye, family and friends designed and built the campground with a nautical theme and new owners Catherine Bellows and Rebecca Wondergem have continued in that tradition. Bellows and Wondergem have owned the campground since 2016.

The nautical centerpiece on the property is a cottage built around the pilothouse of the steamboat “Virginia Dare”. The vessel was used to transport passengers and freight in the early 20th century for the Old Dominion Steamboat Line and later the Old Bay Line.

Ken Nix of Hot Springs, Arkansas, rents the Virginia Dare cottage for five months out of the year and has been at the campground since 1975. “The pilothouse was transported from Norfolk to Deltaville on a flatbottom trailer,” said Nix. “Scotty said that as they crossed the James River Bridge she held up traffic for quite some time.”

The wheel, wooden compass case and fuel oil light are still intact in the “Virginia Dare”. 

The inside of the pilothouse is museum-quality as it has original windows, wheel, wooden compass box and kerosene oil lantern attached to the compass box. The vessel was engineroom controlled, meaning the engineer would turn the engine off and on and shift it into forward or reverse from down in the engine room. The pilothouse still has the 1900s voice system that runs down from the pilothouse into the engine room. It is mounted on the side of the pilothouse. The captain used it to alert the engineer to what was needed — forward or reverse or more power or less — to maneuver the vessel.

There are two menhaden steamer pilothouses converted to cottages and named the Nor’easter and Downeaster. A fourth deck boat pilothouse is on the property and used as a storage shed. Most likely, that pilothouse was built in Deltaville as the town was a boatbuilding center in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, for the building of large deadrise deck boats. Deltaville craftsmen were noted for building “a pretty” round stern on a boat and “a pretty” rounded pilothouse.

There are 46 campsites and four cottages on the property. 

In 1980, Hoye built herself a permanent home on the property, named it Crow’s Nest and connected it to the “Virginia Dare” cottage by a large deck surrounding a flagstone terrace and fireplace grills.

“We plan to continue the nautical theme that Scotty brought to the campground,” said Wondergem. “This place was a very special place to her and Catherine, and I feel the same way — it is a very special place to us.”

There are 46 campsites on the property and four cottages for rent. A best seller at the campground camp store are small bags of turtle food. There is a saltpond on the property where turtles live and grow in abundance. Feeding the turtles is a favorite pastime of many campers.

This needle point hangs in the “Virginia Dare” and is a reminder of the family values brought to the campground by founder, the late Scotty Hoye.
Rivah Visitor's Guide Staff
Rivah Visitor's Guide Staff
The Rivah Visitor’s Guide provides information about places to go and things to do throughout the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula of Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay region, from the York River to the Potomac River.

Related Reading

Laugh your heART out!

LANCASTER—Comedy Night is coming to the RAL Art Center on Saturday, March 21. “Known for celebrating creativity in all its forms, Rappahannock...

Margaret Elinor Tynes Exhibits at Middlesex County Museum...

by Holly Horton A look at late opera singer, Tynes, a Saluda native Middlesex County native, Margaret Elinor Tynes (1919-2024), was an American...

Gloucester Daffodil Festival celebrates 40th event with theme...

The Gloucester Daffodil Festival proudly celebrates its 40th event on Saturday and Sunday, March 28 and 29, with the theme “Anchored...


The Fishing Line

Winter on the Water: Outdoor Recreation in the Northern Neck

By late November, when the last of the autumn leaves have blown across the fields and the air carries a cool winter nip, the...

It Happened Here

It Happened Here: Leased oyster grounds & growers

With the Virginia Legislature in 1894 authorizing a survey of an underwater state bottom to establish public and private oyster beds, new problems arose. Oyster...

Prime Mediterranean offers a diversion from typical menu

If you’re looking for a break from your regular dinner joint or want to take date night up a notch, then head to Prime...
Kilmarnock
overcast clouds
66.1 ° F
66.1 °
66.1 °
87 %
4.8mph
100 %
Mon
71 °
Tue
68 °
Wed
39 °
Thu
55 °
Fri
63 °

Local Tides