A.T. Johnson Museum

18849 Kings Hwy.

Montross 493-7070

The museum preserves the history and legacy of education for African American students in the Northern Neck, especially in Westmoreland County.

The museum is a depository for collections, artifacts, memorabilia, documents and other items related to education.

Built in 1937 in the Colonial Revival style, A. T. Johnson High School was the first public education facility serving African American students in Westmoreland. The school was named for Armstead Tasker Johnson, a black educator and community leader instrumental in its construction.

Open Sat., 10 a.m.–2 p.m., Sun., 2–4 p.m. and other times by appointment.

George Washington Birthplace National Monument

1732 Popes Creek Rd.

Colonial Beach 224-1732

George Washington is among Westmoreland’s most famous native sons. Commander of the Continental Army, Revolutionary War hero and first President of the United States, he professed to be first and foremost a farmer.

Open to the public 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Admission is free.

James Monroe Birthplace Museum and Visitor Center

4460 James Monroe Hwy.

Colonial Beach 214-9145

A picnic area is on the grounds and a canoe launch is at a dock on Monroe Creek.

Open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat. and Sun. from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Admission is free.

Kinsale Museum

449 Kinsale Rd.

Kinsale 472-3001

The museum is dedicated to the preservation, collection, exhibition and interpretation of local history. It’s in a late 19th century barroom, which was used as a meat market in the 1920s; the renovated old Ice Cream Parlor next door houses a gallery, library and meeting space. The 1909 Bank of Kinsale building stands just off the green beside the Kinsale Motor Corp. building (1919).

Open Fri. and Sat. from 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Museum at Colonial Beach

128 Hawthorne St.

Colonial Beach 224-3379

It is housed in the former Hoffman Gas Building (c. 1893).

The museum depicts Colonial Beach heritage through various artifacts. Emphasis is on the period from 1890 through 1958 when the town was a busy river tourism attraction that drew huge summer crowds.

Stratford Hall 

484 Great House Rd.

Stratford              493-8038

Home to four generations of the Lee family, Stratford Hall is an historic house museum near Lerty. The plantation encompasses 1,900 acres of farmlands and is perched high on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River. Built in the late 1730s, Stratford Hall is the birthplace of Robert E. Lee and the boyhood home of Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee, the only brothers to sign the Declaration of Independence.

Tours of the Great House may be self-guided or docent-guided.  

Open daily for grounds passes and Great House tours. Great House tours are on the hour from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. The admission gate is open 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. The dining room is open daily for lunch from 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. The gift shop is open daily from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.

The grounds include a beach and overlook, open daily from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., and six nature trails. The gristmill operates on the second Sat. of each month, Apr. to Oct., from noon to 3 p.m.

Westmoreland County Museum and Library

43 Court Square

Montross 493-8440

Believed to be the oldest museum in the Northern Neck, this museum was chartered in 1939 and dedicated in 1941. It was established to give a permanent home to the life-sized portrait of William Pitt, the Earl of Chatham (1768), painted by Charles Willson Peale and to provide a location for artistic, recreational, and educational facilities.

Permanent exhibits include portraits of Westmoreland County’s historical figures, fossils and native American artifacts. In addition to these exhibits, the Museum hosts several receptions and lectures each year and houses a history and genealogy research library.

Open Mon.-Sat. from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission is free. It also serves as the Visitor Center for Westmoreland County.

Yeocomico Church

72 Coles Point Rd.

Hague 472-2593

The colonial brick church currently standing dates to 1706 and is known as Cople Parish. It is notable among Virginia Colonial churches for the curious roof lines created by a gentler slope and then a steeper slope in the gable, and for the porch on the T-side of the cross which has the same broken roof lines.