146 Courthouse Landing Rd.
King and Queen
The museum complex, created by the King and Queen County Historical Society, is located within the King and Queen Courthouse Green Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It includes the 1802 Tavern Museum, which houses three floors of exhibits and a library collection of more than 350 books focusing on King & Queen County history and genealogy. Also, on site is the Archives Building, home to 4,000 artifacts, and new exhibits on a colonial ship uncovered at historic Newington on the Mattaponi River, marine fossils primarily found locally, and prehistoric tools and weapons. Additional exhibits include the 1870 Eastern View Schoolhouse and the Carriage House, which displays an antique carriage and the interior façade of the old Stevensville post office. The museum is staffed by volunteers.
Open Fri. and Sat. 12:30 – 4:30 p.m., Sun. 1 – 5 p.m. Closed Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and mid-December through March. Free admission, donations welcomed.