Abingdon Episcopal Church

4645 G. Washington Mem. Hwy.

Gloucester 693-3035

A rare cruciform (Latin Cross) colonial church which was completed in 1755 and underwent major restoration in 1986.

Gloucester Museum of History

6539 Main St.

Gloucester 693-1234

The Botetourt Building, built about 1770, was New’s Ordinary, a roadside tavern and hotel. It is featuring the Daffodil exhibit “Golden Memories.” The exhibit depicts the history of Gloucester’s daffodil industry dating back to the 1930s. It also includes a complete display of the 32 county daffodil posters and prints.

Permanent exhibits include The Battle of the Hook, Celebration of African American History in Gloucester, The Old Country Store, The Good Old Days, The Hotel Botetourt, Gremer Doll Houses, Free School House, James D. Gardner, Fairfield, Civil War, Antique Survey Equipment, and others.

On the second floor, the theme of the eight station exhibit is “Echoes From The Past, Six Periods of Gloucester History.”

Open 11 a.m.–3 p.m. daily except Sun. and holidays. Free admission.

Historic Court Circle

6509 Main St.

Gloucester

A grouping of early government buildings (Colonial Courthouse, Debtors’ prison, Clerk’s Offices, and Jail) dating from 1766 to 1896 located in the heart of Gloucester’s historic district. A self-guided tour brochure is available at the Visitor Center.

Pocahontas Museum

7335 Lewis Ave.

Gloucester 815-0988

The Museum has information, artifacts and pictures relating to the Indian Pocahontas, Captain John Smith and the Powhatan Indians. On display is a rock traditionally known as the one on which Capt. John Smith’s head was placed when Pocahontas saved his life at Werawocomoco (Wicomico) in Gloucester County.

The museum is open by appointment.

Rosewell

5113 Old Rosewell Ln.

Gloucester 693-2585

Begun in 1725, Rosewell was home to the Page family for more than 100 years. The ruins sit on the bank of the York River. Here, you may see the brickwork and grace of form and scale which have inspired architects since Thomas Jefferson.

In 1916, a tragic fire swept the mansion, leaving a magnificent shell which is testament to 18th century craftsmanship.

Remaining are the four chimneys, the east wall with its compass head window and carved keystone, the wine cellar and enough of the walls to sense the proportion and scale of the origninal structure. The last family to own Rosewell donated the ruins to the Gloucester Historical Society in 1979. Since 1995, the Rosewell Foundation has taken on the mission of preserving, studying, and presenting the historic ruin.

Visitor center and gift shop. Open Apr.–Oct. Mon.–Thurs. & Sat. 10 a.m.–4 p.m., Sun. 1–4 p.m. General admission $6, student/groups (10 or more) $5, child (6-11) $4, under 6 years, free.

Walter Reed Birthplace

4021 Hickory Fork Rd. Gloucester 693-6688

This small, two-room and loft house was built prior to 1850. It was briefly home to the family of Dr. Walter Reed. Reed was a famous U. S. Army physician and hero of the Spanish-American War and was born here on September 13, 1851. He discovered that yellow fever was transmitted by mosquitos.

Open the second Sat. of the month 1–4 p.m. and by appointment.

Ware Episcopal Church

7825 John Clayton Mem. Hwy.

Gloucester 693-3821

This early 17th century brick structure served as encampments for federal and confederate soldiers.

It is surrounded by a colonial brick wall and an interesting graveyard with beautiful plantings. The current building is dated 1718.

Warner Hall Graveyard

4750 Warner Hall Rd.

Gloucester 648-1889

Located at the Inn at Warner Hall, the Warner-Lewis family graveyard, maintained by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, offers a remarkable collection of 17th and 18th century tombstones.

Open year-round 10 a.m.–4 p.m.