Posted on

Charles Lee Forrest

African-American Menhaden Captain

Charles Lee Forrest
Charles Lee Forrest was rewarded in 1977 for his “high boat” honors by Sea Coast Products Inc. by making him captain of its newest boat, Bull Dog.


by Larry Chowning

Charles Lee Forrest of Susan in Mathews County is one of just a few African American waterman to rise to the rank of captain of a menhaden company-owned fishing vessel.

Forrest did it in very difficult times when white-black segregated attitudes dominated the times.

As a boy, Charles Lee was first acquainted with working the water by holding a lantern at night so his father could determine where to place pound net stakes in Mobjack Bay. During his high school days, he worked in the pound net fishery with other fishermen in his neighborhood.

In 1954 after serving his country in the United States Army for two years in Germany, he went to work as a mate on the Moriches out of Atlantic City, New Jersey, under the leadership of Mathews native Captain Harry Armistead.

Armistead was one of many Mathews County men to captain a menhaden vessel. The captain of a vessel is responsible for getting his crew together and Armistead recruited Charles Lee from the neighborhood.

“You always want to get people to fish with you who you know and trust,” said Charles Lee.

While working as a crewman aboard the Moriches, he studied late at night and in his spare time to acquire a mate and captain’s license. In 1964, he worked with Captain Robert Woodhouse of New Point as a mate on the John L. Lawrence. All the while, he was showing an uncanny ability to lead and catch fish.

His promotion came in 1968 when he was made captain of the Tangepaho in Abbeville, Louisiana, where he worked in the Gulf of Mexico. After his first summer season as captain ended, Charles Lee went to the North Carolina off-shore ocean fishery and became captain of the steamer Fenwick Island.

On December 7, 1968 tragedy struck as he was fishing off Cape Lookout, North Carolina, when he ran into that “perfect storm,” where there is usually no return for a fisherman. Noted Chesapeake Bay maritime author John Frye documented the event in his book “The Men All Singing” when he wrote, “On December 7, 1968, the J. Howard Smith Co. 135-foot vessel Fenwick Island, with its crew of 14 was caught in open water by a freak southwest squall off Cape Lookout, rolled over and sank in near hurricane winds and freezing temperature. The vessel W.T. James Jr. of Haynie Products from Reedville rescued seven men but seven others were lost.

Charles Lee Forrest
Captain “Charlie Lee” Forrest caught over one billion fish and many were caught when he was captain of the Bull Dog.

“Captain Ernest Delano of the James, in a large converted military transport, saw the Fenwick Island’s lights go out from about two and one-half miles away and rushed to the scene, pulled the survivors from the 35 degree water and heavy seas and brought them ashore wrapped in blankets,” states the book.

Charles Lee was one of the survivors. “I’ll tell you something—that was a bad night! It really was!” he said. “The storm came up out of nowhere and nobody heard anything about it on the radio or nothing. It was in December and the wind started coming bad from the southwest and then all of a sudden it shifted to the northwest. It was 10:30 at night and we had a fish hold full of fish. There were 25-foot high seas and winds up to 60 to 70 miles per hour.

“The seas were coming from one way and then when the waves shifted, we capsized 20 miles off shore in the Atlantic,” he said. “When she went over, myself and five or six others were able to crawl onto the sides and sit on the bottom of the boat.

“It was the worst storm I ever experienced,” continued Charles Lee. “The seas were horrible and then a big sea came and blew us all off the boat into the water. It was dark and cold. I was in the water for about 30 minutes. I’ll tell you the truth, I’m not supposed to be here today, but I’m here by the grace of God.

“When I landed in the water, the fish coming out of the hold just about killed me,” he said. “There were thousands of fish going back into the sea and we were right in their way. They about beat me to death. There were 14 of us on the boat and everyone had lifejackets but they were those old cork type jackets and wouldn’t stay up but so long.

“It was bad,” continued Charles Lee. “When I was in the water, cold and dark, I can remember thinking if I could have gone right then (drowned) I would have gone without a fight. That was an awful feeling.

“Next thing I knew Ernest Delano’s crew pulled me out of the water. When they got me on the boat, I was so cold I couldn’t move. After I got to shore, they wanted me to get off the boat but I didn’t want to because I kept thinking I should have gone down with the ship and I was sick from the cold and saltwater in my throat. My throat was burned right up.

“I still don’t know how we lived through it. It was sad and I felt so bad for the men I lost and their families but, eventually, I went back to fishing,” he said.

The men who died were all African-American fishermen, six from Mathews County and one from Gloucester County. A community funeral was held in the gymnasium of Gloucester High School.

The men who died were William R. Thomas Jr., Harold Johnson, Harold and Bobby Diggs, all of Susan; Linwood Smith of Beaverlett; Robert E. Thomas of Mathews; and S.A. Pollard of Roanes in Gloucester County.

Charles Lee Forrest
Purse boats used by the Bull Dog in the late 1970.

The survivors were all local fishermen too. Charles Winstead of Weems; Vernon Savoy and his son Vernon Jr. of Kilmarnock; William W. Thomas of Susan; George A. Johnson of White Stone; and David Mansfield of Wake all survived the storm.

When Charles Lee did go back to the boats he went on to become one of the most successful “highliner” menhaden captains on the Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico. In 1970, he began working for Sea Coast Products Inc. out of Morgan City, La. During his career, Charles Lee received the “high boat” award for catching the most fish in seasons 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1984 and 1985. His track record earned him to receive Sea Coast’s newest vessel, the “Bull Dog,” in 1977. In August of 1993, he reached a milestone when, after 25 years, he had caught his one billionth fish, making him one of the most successful menhaden captains of all time.

Charles Lee Forrest retired after 41 years in the menhaden business. When he retired, he was working for Zapata Haynie Corp. Today, he lives in Susan in Mathews County, in the same neighborhood where he grew up.